<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Mold Misery - Air Quality Testing - Formaldehyde





Air Quality Test


I do not remember the sequence of the next steps, but I had air quality tests done in the house in August 2001.

Throughout the first months in my new home, there was total chaos and such horrendous air quality that I was convinced I would die unless I moved or found a solution.  I was also gaining weight at an alarming pace.

I had been talking often with a quite well-informed staff member at the local branch of the American Lung Association.  They had a referral list of "recommended" air quality analysts.  The first call I made was to a doctor who reminded me more of a mortician.  I felt as though I was being hustled into signing up for a battery of expensive tests by a doctor who did not seem either well-balanced or compassionate.

The list was two pages long so there were plenty more numbers to call.  The second call was to a volunteer who did air quality testing using potato starch.  She said that if mold grew on starch, it would indicate I had a problem . . . at which point, I told her that if I brought bread home from the market, it was often green within hours.  That brought the conversation to an abrupt halt because she said, "Oh, there you have it; you don't need the test, you have mold."  The advice was, as always, to vacate.

I know it's lame, but I was so tired that psyched up as I would get, I just couldn't figure out how to organize a move.  Besides my white hair, sneezing, coughing, and itchy eyes, I had begun slurring and often could not find the correct words for things even though I knew I knew the words.  It was very specific:  proper nouns, especially names, were the hardest.  Worse, the better I knew the name, the harder it was to remember it.

I knew this was a sign of neurological problems, but I didn't fully understand what I was dealing with so even when the sometimes hysterical sounding advice to run sounded exaggerated, a part of me knew the suggestions were correct and a part just couldn't function enough to act on the information imparted. 

Next, I developed dizziness.  Navigating the stairs became a major undertaking.  I would stand at the top of the stairs, certain that I would tumble and die on the way down.  Going up was less threatening but it took a lot of effort. I began looking at other properties and would get really focused and then fall asleep within minutes of opening the door to my house.

I told the insurance company the mold was a serious issue.  They had ways of turning around everything I said . . . but there is this law suit so I better button up for the moment.

Leaving out a big piece of the story, I will simply say that in August, I found someone who could perform air quality tests.  For the record, the base rate was $500 . . . and this is a fraction of what you should expect to pay for thorough testing.

The indoor air quality specialist had an elegant web site and since he lived near, the surcharges for the ferry and time spent commuting did not apply.  He came by on a Friday for a quick look at the "job."  He immediately told me that he smelled mold, and he told me where it was.  As it turns out, he was bang on but it took several more years to prove he was right . . . and to figure out why the mold was where it was.

  • My first serious lesson in mold biology began with a little spiel about how mold devours organic materials, including drywall and studs and flooring and carpets.  It digests these "foods" and then outgasses something that has a characteristic odor, sometimes musty and sometimes acrid.  In theory, the spores themselves cause the allergies and the mycotoxins are what cause the more serious complications, but this theory is not 100% coherent, and I will try to present a more valid interpretation in the medical section of this site.
  • The mold tester instructed me to close all the windows, turn off all filtration, and keep the doors closed.  He would return in a space suit to perform mold tests on Monday.

I want to describe the tests he performed because they are different from most tests done by others in the profession.

He had something that does, in fact, resemble an Anderson 6 device, but it was made in Germany and used a sticky prepared slide instead of an agar for collecting samples to incubate.

The slide had 30 squares.  Air was sucked for ten minutes in each of three locations: upstairs, downstairs, and outdoors.  The air was directed at each square for one minute.  The platform holding the slide moved.  It was fascinating to me.

For the record, the tester did not arrive in a space suit.  He also did not do other things he originally said he was going to do.  For instance, he planned to beat the carpets to force dust to become airborne.  Likewise, I failed to uphold part of my end of the bargain.  I was unable to contain the house and shut down the filtration.  Everyone started vomiting so the filtration was only off for 20-30 minutes before he arrived.

This said, the report from the laboratory examining the slide was quite revelatory even though, at the time, neither he nor I knew how to interpret it.  Several more years passed before I developed the expertise to understand what the report said.

  • As a sort of aside, I might say that the tester told me that I surely had formaldehyde in the house.  I told him that the UV was supposed to have removed it.  He had a glass vial that he put into a kitchen cabinet.  This is another testing device from Germany.  It gives instant results and there was no formaldehyde according to the test.  This surprised him and was a relief to me.

Along came 9/11 and this fellow disappeared.  I suspect he was needed for anthrax detection or something else for which he was already trained.

Again, I will skip some of the story because it will no doubt come up in the law suit.

I am very strongly networked with a lot of health care practitioners, many of whom had their own mold horror stories.  I was also doing quite a bit of surfing online; and to the credit of this burgeoning new science and industry, I want to say that the quantity and quality of material online has improved significantly over the last 4-5 years.

Not satisfied that the UV system was doing the job, I bought a vacuum cleaner with HEPA filtration and began investigating portable filtration units.  I ordered one that had an extremely high rating.  It was supposed to eliminate 99.99% of all mold and 100% of particulates that are larger.  It was apparently developed for military use and had negative feedback about its noise and bulky design.  It worked brilliantly for a few hours and then basically stopped.  I sent it back to the dealer.  His report was that the filters, which were brand new, were clogged, this in one day of operation.  The filters were prohibitively expensive so I figured this might be a perfect unit for a den where someone smokes cigars, but I couldn't afford to operate it.

Instead, I bought a Sharper Image unit.  In comparison to the B-52, it is elegant.  It is silent and very inexpensive to operate . . . and like everything else, it helps but does not solve the problem.

With blessings!

Ingrid Naiman
8 October 2005

Co-Existing with Mold


Sacred Medicine Sanctuary



Notice:  The material on this site is based on the personal experiences and research of Ingrid Naiman, the site owner.  While every effort has been made to present accurate information, neither the site owner or web service provider claim the material will prevent or cure any medical condition, and no responsibility for the application of the information on this site is assumed by the any of the parties providing the content on this site.  None of the statements made on the site are intended to replace the services of health care or mold professionals.

Disclaimer: The information on this site has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.