<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Mold Misery - Pathogenicity of Mycotoxins - Hemolytic Mycotoxins







One of the theories of mold is that only certain molds produce toxic metabolites.  Of these, the trichothecenes are the ones most discussed but there are also hemolysins, chemicals that cause rupturing of red blood cells and sometimes severe anemia.

Before trying to say anything on the subject of mycotoxicity, I want to reiterate something I have said before:  mold can and will and does destroy blood.  In my observations of live blood, it can achieve this in at least three ways:

  1. By devouring the red blood cells while in the vegetative state.  In this case, the RBCs travel through the hypha where they are exposed to acids and enzymes.  At the end of this journey, the formerly discrete RBCs are liquefied and presumably also predigested.  It is pointless to get into a debate over this phenomenon until one has actually seen this in a microscope.
  2. By spraying something on substances that causes a nearly total dematerialization of the cells.  It is unclear to me whether the mold "eats" these substances or merely causes their rapid decomposition.
  3. By releasing a chemical that causes very rapid hemolysis.  The interesting feature of this activity is that the shells of the RBCs do not disintegrate and are not used as food by the mold.  Therefore, this side effect of mold exposure occurs independently of what is generally called the vegetative state.
This is a photomicrograph of red blood cells that have lysed. The curious fact about such occurrences is that the blood does not decompose further, at least not on the slide.  It remains microbe-free and frozen in time.

There is another factor that can also lead to serious blood loss and that is a consequence of the colonization and vegetative behavior of mold.  This can lead to tissue perforation and hemorrhaging.  It can also result in two entirely separate physiological developments:

  1. The appearance of what seem to be growths, such as tumors; and
  2. Loss of tissue that varies from demyelination of nerve sheaths to tiny fissures and large holes where all the tissue has been either eaten or dematerialized by the mold or the mycotoxins.

If all this were not enough, it is clear that the mycotoxins cause damage to tissues, including vital organs.  This can interfere with the functions of the affected tissues and organs and lead to organ failure.  Some of the mycotoxins are scarring and cause sclerosis whereas others interfere with body chemistry and organ integrity.

All in all, this is a grave picture and one that is nearly always underestimated by all but the best informed patients and a small number of health care professionals who are risking their reputations by stating matters that are nearly always met with resistance by the uninitiated.


Many blessings,

Ingrid Naiman
21 October 2006



To be notified when there are new posts, please subscribe by entering your email address in the box below.  You will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription; you can unsubscribe at any time using the link at the end of any email you receive.  Be sure to put moldmisery@bioethika.com as an accepted email correspondent or the emails will bounce.  This is especially important for AOL subscribers.




No part of this site may be reproduced or published in any form or on any other web site without written permission from the site owner.



Notice:  The material on this site is based on the personal experiences and research of Ingrid Naiman, the site owner.  While every effort has been made to present accurate information, neither the site owner or web service provider claim the material will prevent or cure any medical condition, and no responsibility for the application of the information on this site is assumed by the any of the parties providing the content on this site.  None of the statements made on the site are intended to replace the services of health care or mold professionals.

Disclaimer: The information on this site has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.